The girl was taken to the hospital, where she had to undergo a skin graft after the incident. The victim has been identified as Yiyi Huang of Quanzhou city in the Chinese province of Fujian. According to Yahoo News Australia, the incident happened earlier this month when Yi was playing with his younger cousin.
(Also read- Vivo’s beautiful smartphone with 8GB RAM is getting very cheap, will get 32MP selfie camera)
Just then her grandmother heard a loud bang followed by Yi’s scream. When she arrived to investigate, she noticed smoke billowing from Yi’s wrist and soon realized that Yi’s smartwatch had exploded on her wrist. The explosion caused third degree burns on the skin on the back of his hand. Yi had to undergo a skin graft procedure.
Not all details of the incident have been made public yet, including the name of the smartwatch’s maker. It is being told that Huang is in talks with the producer regarding compensation for the incident. The incident is a shocking one, reminding us just how dangerous a battery can be in any of the worst senarios.
(Also read- Battery drains quickly, so change this setting of the phone today, it will be easy)
We have seen such incidents with many other devices in the past. However, smartwatches haven’t really been a part of this list until now. As in this case based on several incidents before, it is possible that the smartwatch battery explodes upon a significant physical impact, an external force could damage the battery to the point of detonation. Of course, one could argue how a four-year-old was able to generate so much electricity and why the smartwatch was not able to withstand it.